Fort Cemetery, Fall Creek Township, Hamilton County, Indiana
Fort Cemetery is located on 1025 S., Fortville, IN. The cemetery is less than 1/2 mile from Hwy 238, just over the Hamilton County line in Fall Creek Township.
The information and current list were made using 3 Fort Cemetery lists found at the Fortville-Vernon Township Public Library. Two are obviously photocopied from books. Though no other information is given, they are believed to be 1) a record made by Dr. Earl Brooks in 1949-1950, and 2) a list by Patricia Gibbs in 1984 who alphabetized and indexed Dr. Brooks' work. The third list is an update made in 2001 by Judy Mehaffey.
The land for this cemetery originally belonged to Peter Staats (1806-1869). Mr. Staats gave the land to the Methodist Church in 1841. A log church was built and it was called Staat's cemetery and church. When the town of Fortville was founded in 1849 by Cephas Fort (1800-1869), the congregation moved into town. So the log church was torn down, and the logs were used for making sidewalks. The cemetery name was changed to West Staats. (Another smaller cemetery holds other Staat family members and was believed to be called East Staats, now Doty Cemetery.) Later the West Staats Cemetery was changed again to Fort Cemetery in honor of Cephas Fort who is buried there. Many other prominent families of early Fortville are buried here as well. (Historical information courtesy of Lloyd Fuqua.
The cemetery data was contributed by Rebecca Crowe of the Fortville-Vernon Township Public Library.
This database may be searched in the following ways:
- Fuzzy -- will search for that string of characters. Searching for Smith would find Smith, Smithson, Arrowsmith, etc.
- Exact -- will search only for that exact text. Searching for Smith will find only Smith.
- Soundex -- will search for the Soundex equivalent. Searching for Smith will find Smith, Smythe, Schmidt, etc.