Govans Presbyterian Cemetery, Baltimore, Maryland
Govans Presbyterian Cemetery is located on York Road in Northern Baltimore City, Maryland. Govans Presbyterian Church was established in October 1844 as Union Chapel. By 1846 it had become a full church and a member of the Presbytery of Baltimore. The Church is part of the PCUSA Denomination, and a member of the Synod of the Mid-Atlantic. The Govans Presbyterian Church website also has a list of interments in PDF format.
"Govans" (Govan, Govane) is the name of the community in which the church is located. The family that established old Govanstown in the late 1700's came from the Glasgow area of Scotland - where another congregation, with roots dating back to 575, bears the same family name: Govan Old Parish.
The cemetery had its first burial in 1845. Even though the data file compiler was unable to locate that particular tombstone (Archibald Shaw), Archibald's wife, Delena Shaw, who passed away in 1846, was located. There are a total of 955 people buried at this cemetery with some makers having two or more names. The earliest identified birth date was that of Mary Weir who was born 26 January 1773. The cemetery itself is located in the rear of the church and fronts the north/south road to the west, Bellona Avenue. While there is not a lot of spare space remaining, Govans Presbyterian Cemetery remains active and there are still burials that occur.
The cemetery was read and imaged in May 2003. The database and associated images are the copyrighted work of William E. Wilson, Jr. who generously supplied them to the Allen County Public Library for distribution to individual genealogical researchers.
The database does not store the surname separately from the first name, so you'll have to enter either the first name or surname. If searching for both, enter as Doe, John.