Fort Wayne Catholic Cemetery through 1993
The present-day Catholic Cemetery in Fort Wayne was opened for burials in 1873. The interments of the previous two Catholic cemeteries, the one on Cathedral Square and the one on Swinney Avenue, were both relocated to the current location when it opened in 1873.
Staff at the Allen County Public Library compiled an abstract of the 1873 to 1983 burials. The Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana compiled an index in Microsoft Word for the 1984 to 1993 burials in Ft. Wayne Catholic Cemetery. This search is a translation of their work. Pre-1873 records were abstracted by Margery M. Graham.
Some burials appear twice in the database, particularly those who were originally buried before 1873. They appear in the early records and again in the records after they were relocated to the present cemetery. Other bodies were relocated without a notation on their record; consequently, a person may be listed as being buried in two different places.
This database may be searched in the following ways:
- Fuzzy -- will search for that string of characters. Searching for Smith would find Smith, Smithson, Arrowsmith, etc.
- Exact -- will search only for that exact text. Searching for Smith will find only Smith.
- Soundex -- will search for the Soundex equivalent. Searching for Smith will find Smith, Smythe, Schmidt, etc.