Allen County, Indiana Church Burial Records
Civil vital record registration was not required in Indiana until 1882, with numerous counties and communities not collecting the data consistently until sometime even later. Church burials records often are a worthwhile substitute for civil vital record registration. Margery Graham, library volunteer and Allen County Genealogical Society officer, has abstracted a number of Allen County, Indiana church burial registers from their earliest records through the 1880 time period as a type of death record substitute and to provide access to this valuable information.
Church burial records included in this database are:
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Fort Wayne, 1834, 1837-1849, 1853-1855, 1874-1885
- Catholic Cemetery Burial Records before 1873, Fort Wayne
- Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Marion Township, 1846-1885. (No deaths reported for 1862, 1866, and 1869.)
- Martini Evangelical Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne (now New Haven), 1854-1856, 1858-1864, 1866-1884, 1886
- St. John's United Church of Christ, Fort Wayne, 1868-1885
- St. Joseph Hessen Cassel Catholic Church, Marion Township, 1845-1873. (No entries for the years 1846-1849, 1851, 1853, 1859, 1860, 1866-1868, 1870, and 1871.)
- St. Louis Besancon Catholic Church, New Haven, Jefferson Township, 1865-1869, 1875-1885
- St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Pleasant Township, 1858-1892
- St. Mary's Catholic Church, Fort Wayne, 1850-1884
- St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Arcola, 1873-1900
- St. Paul's Catholic Church, Fort Wayne, 1866-1884
- St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne, 1836-1885
- St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church, St. Joseph Township, 1857-1885
- Trinity English Evangelical Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne, 1846 - mid-1851 and 1868-1885
- Trinity Episcopal Church, Fort Wayne, 1839, 1844-1851, 1855-1885
- Trinity Suburban Evangelical Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne, 1854-1885
This database may be searched in the following ways:
- Fuzzy -- will search for that string of characters. Searching for Smith would find Smith, Smithson, Arrowsmith, etc.
- Exact -- will search only for that exact text. Searching for Smith will find only Smith.
- Soundex -- will search for the Soundex equivalent. Searching for Smith will find Smith, Smythe, Schmidt, etc.