Smith Cemetery, Adams County, Indiana
Smith Cemetery of Monroe Township, Adams County, Indiana, also known as Chapel Cemetery and Twelve Corner Cemetery, is a public cemetery near the railroad, back a lane west of Tile Mill Rd./CR000, between CR100S and CR200S. The cemetery can be found by the following legal description: S9 T26N R14E. The GPS coordinates are: 40°43'26"N 84°56'26"W.
A church with 12 corners once stood here but is long since gone. Built in 1866, the church was still standing in 1918. The 1879 plat of Monroe Township shows the land, 75.72 acres, as having belonged to Robert E. Smith, Jr., a grandson of Robert Smith (1786-1868).In 1996-98 the existing stones were in two sections, the first section to the West, near the railroad bed, and the second to the East, starting at the end of the entrance land. The two sections are separated by an open area that might have been the location of the Twelve-Cornered Church. A plat recorded by Robert E. Smith, Jr., on 4 April 1892, indicates the plots in the cemetery extend from a point 17.5 feet from the railroad right-of-way (West end) for a distance of 263 feet. At that point it joins the "west line of Old Cemetery." The plots are in three rows of 18 and are numbered to 54. Each plot is 12 by 18 feet in size.
The data was generously contributed by Capt. David G. Smith, USN and reformatted by Margie Roop Pearce and Jim Cox. It is used here with permission.
This database may be searched in the following ways:
- Fuzzy -- will search for that string of characters. Searching for Smith would find Smith, Smithson, Arrowsmith, etc.
- Exact -- will search only for that exact text. Searching for Smith will find only Smith.
- Soundex -- will search for the Soundex equivalent. Searching for Smith will find Smith, Smythe, Schmidt, etc.