Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center

Allen County Resources

PageText
12In UILDERS OF GR.3,A ER FORT WAYNE HE ladder of success is seldom gilded, nor does one often mount it from an elevation which avoids the lower rungs. But it matters very little where the ascent begins, if the grasp is stout and the footing secure, and the upward pull determined and persistent. The man who starts at the lowest rung with these has a fair chance to arrive at a higher point, where there is space for freer vision and recognition than in the crowd at the foot of the ladder, as well as greater scope for the qualities which attain the height. There is solid satisfaction in having made the climb, and one finds, also, a greater company of friends about him than he had room to perceive below. Fort Wayne was just a very much overgrown village when Harry W. Baals was a boy. Bursting out of its jacket, certainly, but far indeed from the adult city of today. And Harry was like all the boys in it, only perhaps a little more so—played a little harder, or found more vacation jobs than most. He ran errands, carried handbills, and during one vacation ran the elevator for the Davis Medical Company, in the building afterwards remodeled as the Baltes Hotel. Harry was in the thick of the group that played uncounted games of baseball in McCulloch's field—once a popular circus ground—and in the old swimming hole at the foot of the field (dubbed by the boys "the elephant hole" because the circus elephants gamboled in the deep water) the dust of many a ball game was washed away. Harry's grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. George Baals, were Forty-eighters from Byern, Germany, from which birthplace they came to America, settling temporarily at Reading. Pennsylvania, where August Baals, the father of Harry, was born, 1850. In the fall of 1851 the family migrated to Fort Wayne, the journey from Toledo, Ohio, being made by boat, via the Wabash and Erie Canal. Of this family of six sons and daughters, all grew up and married here, maintaining their residence in this city throughout life, integral members of the industrial, business and social body of Fort Wayne. Harry W. Baals was born November 16, 1886, the son of August and Margaret (Felger) Baals. He was married February 5, 1909, to Minnie Marie Witte, daughter of Christ and Mary Witte, and their household at 846 West DeWald street now includes a daughter, Marceil, aged sixteen, and a son, Donald, aged ten years. Harry began school in the old Jefferson building, from which he was promoted to the old high school at the age of thirteen years. Two years later, owing to temporary reverses in his father's affairs, the lad was compelled to forego further schooling, and sought employment, which he found after a short search, as a messenger in the office of the Fort Wayne Electric Company (now the General Electric Company) , where the wages were low, indeed, but where a chance to rise glimmered in the distance. Harry followed that gleam. To further the education cut short at fifteen years, he took a correspondence course in electrical engineering. For twenty-one years, beginning November 9, 1901, he remained with the company, gradually advancing from post to post and gaining at last the position of manager of the distributing department, which he held for ten years, until called elsewhere to a broader field of ''distribution." Spare evening hours were devoted successfully to the selling of life insurance, a school of experience which fitted him still further for his later responsibilities. (Continued on Page 652 Appendix)
146110 UI DERS OF GREATS FORT WAYNE 111) F it is important that food should be prepared for the table in clean kitchens under sanitary conditions, it is no less important that it should have been secured in a condition that would make the housewife's care worth while. When the city health officers and the weights and measures officials of Fort Wayne undertook to grade the 312 groceries of the city in regard to their sanitation, furnishings, and fixtures, Clarence N. Eipper, a grocer at 1027-1029 East Pontiac street, stood first with a score of 98. His record in dispensing clean food under sanitary conditions won the praise of both city officials and civic association leaders. They pointed out that the record is especially excellent for a privately owned grocery in competition with chain stores with standardized equipment, fixtures, and methods. Mr. Eipper was born in 1894 at Marshall, Michigan, the son of William and Margaret Eipper. His father was a contractor. The son graduated from high school and then entered retail stores and has devoted his entire business career to this work. He married Miss Linnie Bennett, daughter of Riley and Minnie Bennett, at Fort Wayne in 1916. Mr. and Mrs. Eipper have one daughter, Kathryn B. Eipper, and reside at 902 Oakdale drive. After locating in Fort Wayne and establishing the Eipper grocery and meat market, he began his career of active participation in the city's civic interests. As a member of many civic associations, he has worked actively on teams which have attempted to make Fort Wayne a greater and better city. During the World War he found opportunities to serve the city and nation in many war activities. He was a team worker in the First, Second and Third Liberty Loan campaigns and in the War Savings Stamp campaign. He contributed liberally to many other war services. He was a team worker in the Chamber of Commerce building campaign drive of 1926 and has been a team worker in annual Community Chest campaigns. He is a member of the Fort Wayne Retail Merchants' Association, of the State Grocers' Association and of the National Association. The scoring of his store by public officials is evidence of the high standard of ethics which he maintains in his business. Mr. Eipper is an active member of the Chamber of Commerce and participates in the work of the Retail Merchants' Bureau. He is a member of the Plymouth Congregational Church, of the Y. M. C. A., the Fort Wayne Rotary Club, the Izaak Walton League, the Better Business Bureau, and the Orchard Ridge Country Club, taking an active part in the work of these various civic organizations.
180BUILDERS OF GREATER FOR WAYNE URING the progress of a civic campaign, Joseph Freiburger made a statement which sounded the keynote of his attitude toward his city and fellow-citizens--It is the duty of every man to provide funds and institutions for the betterment of the citizenship of Fort Wayne.- His interest in philanthropic affairs has included every community effort of this type and has led him into active duty in many campaigns dealing with charitable efforts and organizations. He has not, however, limited his activity to the more spectacular work of campaigning for these various organizations. He has gone further and devoted himself to the more routine, and more vital tasks of directing and administering the affairs of various philanthropic bodies. Mr. Freiburger was born at Mt. Carroll, Illinois, the son of Leopold and Minnie Freiburger. He came to Fort Wayne at an early age, went through the grade schools, and was graduated from the Fort Wayne high school. He attended the Rose Polytechnic Institute at Terre Haute and was then employed by the Fort Wayne Electric Company, and later entered the firm of S. Frei-burger 8 Brothers Company. Of this firm, located at 119 East Columbia street, dealers in shoes and leather, Mr. Freiburger is president. November 25, 1909, he married Miss May Hallenstein, daughter of I. M. and Tillie Hallenstein, at Fort Wayne. To this union were born two daughters, Hortense and Marian. The family reside at 605 Beechwood drive. During the World War, Mr. Freiburger found many demands upon his time. He was a team worker in the First, Second, Third and Fourth Liberty Loan campaigns, and in the Victory Loan and, War Savings Stamp campaigns. Another phase of his wartime service was his work as a leader in the Jewish Welfare campaign. Among Mr. Freiburger's many civic activities have been his work in the Chamber of Commerce building campaign of 1926, the annual Community Chest drives, the Y. M. C. A. enlargement fund drive of 1925, the Y. M. C. A. membership campaign of March, 1926, the Y. W. C. A. building and incidental campaigns, and the annual Red Cross Christmas Seal campaigns. As a member of the old Commercial Club, he assisted in the campaign for organization of Fort Wayne's modern Chamber of Commerce. He attends the Achduth Vesholom Temple, of which he is a trustee. He is a director of and has taken a great interest in the Jewish Federated Charities. He is a member of the Y. M. C. A., the Better Business Bureau, the Fort Wayne Country Club, and the Fort Wayne Motor Club. He is a member of the Jobbers' and Wholesalers' Bureau of the Chamber of Commerce and has been a member of the board of managers of this central organization for five years. In fraternal work, he belongs to the Elks Lodge and to the Independent Order of B'Nai Brith. He has been vice-president of the National Leather and Findings Association and takes an active part in that body's work,
644lb UILDERS OF GREATER FORT WAYNE IY training and experience the lawyer is equipped to play a leading part in the civic life of his community. In any record of an era his part will be found to loom large. Compelled to think constantly and logically in terms of the human equation, they are more influential than their numbers would seem to warrant in the molding of public opinion, laws, and institutions, and in the formation of far-reaching policies. During the trying days of the World war, Fred E. Zollars, attorney, member of the firm of Leonard. Rose 8 Zollars, found many opportunities for public service. He was one of the ever-ready speakers to carry the messages of patriotism to the citizenry of our community. He was a member of the American Defense Counselors and gave freely of his time in legal advice to soldiers and to their families. He served also as a team worker in Victory Loan and in the United War Work campaigns. He was a member of the advisory council for the Red Cross War Fund campaigns. Mr. Zollars is a Fort Wayne product, being born here February 7, 1869. His father, Allen Zollars, was an attorney, and served as judge of the supreme court for the state of Indiana. His mother was Minnie (Ewing) Zollars. The son attended school in Fort Wayne and then attended Miami university. Afterwards he studied law and engaged in the practice of that profession in his home city. He married Miss Gertrude Lindsey at Fort Wayne, August 17, 1897. Mr. Zollars is a Democrat. In the Chamber of Commerce he is active in the rural development and good roads bureau and has supported many of the major movements of the city's central civic organization. He is a member of the Rotary club, the Y. M. C. A., the Izaak Walton league, and the Fort Wayne Country club. In fraternal orders, he is a member of the Masonic Blue lodge, the York Rite Masons, the Scottish Rite Masons, and the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and of the Loyal Order of Moose. His interest in civic affairs has led him to participation in many civic campaigns. He was a team worker in the original Y. M. C. A. building fund campaign of 1916 and again in the Y. M. C. A. enlargement fund campaign of 1925. He served on the advisory committee for the Y. W. C. A. building campaign and on teams in several Community Chest drives.
655BUILDERS OF GREA ER FORT WAYNE Enlistment branches of civilian duty. He was the legal adviser of the Conscription Board No. 3. Mr. Barrett married Miss Marian A. Bond. daughter of Mrs. Charles E. Bond, June 28, 1877, then living on South Fairfield avenue in what is now known as Walnut Place Addition. Their children are Mrs. F. B. Ladd. Charles D. Barrett, Walter A. Barrett, and James M. Barrett, Jr., a member of the father's law firm. The church affiliations of the family are Episcopalian. Mr. Barrett is a devoted lover of floriculture. When the Fort Wayne branch of the National Plant, Flower, and Fruit Guild was organized. Mr. Barrett was given the office of honorary president. COONY BAYER Porto Rican ports in the West Indies and from Sumatra and Java in the East Indies. Mr. Bayer has made several personal visits to Porto Rico and Cuba in the selection of the finest tobaccos for his famous products. Mr. Bayer has always shown a live civic spirit. He was a member of the membership committee in the reorganization of the old Commercial Club into the present Chamber of Commerce. He is a member of the Industrial Bureau and served as a captain in Division "A" in the Chamber of Commerce building campaign. He helped to secure the fund to erect the Y. M. C. A. building and has been active in other "Y" campaigns. He is a member of the association. He has been a worker in the interest of the Community Chest. He has served in the campaigns of the Red Cross and the Methodist Hospital. During the World War period, he was a participant in both the Liberty Loan and Red Cross war fund campaigns. He is an active member of the Fort Wayne Rotary Club, the Izaak Walton League, the Hoosier State Automobile Association. the Fort Wayne Association of Credit Men and the Better Business Bureau. In Masonry, Mr. Bayer is a member of Wayne Lodge, F. A. M., the Scottish Rite. the York Rite and Mizpah Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Elks Lodge, the Knights of Pythias, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Fort Wayne Vorwaerts Turnverein. He is interested in a number of local enterprises in addition to his own, including the Lincoln National Bank, of which he is a director. On the 30th of September. 1901, Mr. Bayer was united in marriage with Miss Anna Hofer, daughter of Andreas Hofer, of Fort Wayne. To Mr. and Mrs. Bayer have beenborn two children—Ralph Conrad, now associated in business with his father, and Dorothea Christine. A beautiful modern type of home is at present under construction for the Bayer family on Forest Park Boulevard, one of the city's handsome "show" places. CHAS G. BEALL, M.D. has long been employed by the United States Government's Bureau of Insular Affairs, owing to his mastery of the Spanish language. SYLVANUS B. BECHTEL part. He was a division chairman in 1925. vice-chairman and general of Division A in charge of larger subscriptions in 1926, and he is vice-president of the Fort Wayne Community Chest. He was a member of the executive committee for the Young Women's Christian Association building campaign and served in the large gifts division. He has been a member of the board of trustees of that institution since 1920. He was general of Division -Bin the original Y. M. C. A. building fund drive of 1916. Mr. Bechtel holds membership in many civic and beneficent organizations. He is trustee of the Pixley Relief Home. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, has served as chairman of the Industrial Bureau, and is chairman of the special Chamber of Commerce committee on reconstruction of the Fort Wayne sewer system. He is also a member of the Civic and Municipal Bureau. He is a member of the Rotary, Quest. and University clubs. He is a member of the Fort Wayne Employers' Association and the National Association of Manufacturers. For the latter he served on the committee on the platform for industry in 1919, was chairman of this committee in 1923.and is a member of the 1927 committee. He is a member of the Country Club. He is a member of the board of trustees of the Plym- outh Congregational Church. In Masonic work, he is a member of the Blue Lodge, the York Rite Masons, the Scottish Rite Masons. and the Mystic Shrine. He married Miss Marie M. Russell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William J. Russell, of Grand Rapids, Michigan June 27, 1906. They reside at the Fairfield Manor Apartments and have two children. Kenneth B. Bechtel and Mary Katherine Bechtel. AUGUST E. C. BECKER in 1909. In 1911 Mr. Becker married Mrs. Minnie M. Dreibelbiss. with whom he now resides at 425 West Williams street, in the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana. in an elegant home erected by him.
705DERS OF GREATER FORT -WAYNE Mr. Jackson was born May 28, 1895, in Zanesville, Indiana, his parents being Rev. Isaiah H. Jackson and Minnie (Whitenberger) Jackson, members of the United Brethren church. Mr. Jackson married Miss Anna Fern Bennett, daughter of Grant Bennett, of Kalamazoo. on December 26, 1914. They have two children, James Woodrow and Robert Isaiah. They are members of the First Presbyterian church, in which Mr. Jackson is an elder. He is also leader of a flourishing young men's Bible class wh:ch has a membership of eighty. He was chairman of the American Legion Endowment drive. He is a member of the Y. M. C. A., the Masonic Blue Lodge, the Scottish Rite, and the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of the law firm of Colerick, Jackson and Parrish, located in the Dime Savings Bank building. Berry and Court streets. The family home is No. 2517 Florida Drive. GEORGE A. JACOBS the business could be thoroughly established. But results assured ultimate success, and after a year or so, Mr. Jacobs severed his connection with the Sherwin-Williams Company, and devoted his entire time and energies to the new business. The field for the products was widening at tremendous speed, owing to the increasing manufacture and use of automobiles, notably, in the earlier days. to the extraordinary expansion of the Ford Motor Company In 1912 the factory was removed to Fort Wayne, where conditions were more favorable to the development and expansion of the business. Ever since that time, continuous progress has been made. in overcoming many difficulties, in improving the products, and in increasing the output. In 1914 the original partnership was dissolved and the present "Dudlo Manufacturing Corporation,'' admitting some outside capital, was organized, the name Dudlo being evolved from Dudley, Mr. Jacobs' native city, and Ohio, the state where the infant industry had been cradled. Under this unique and distintinguishing cognomen the concern has become, within the past ten years, the largest establishment of its nature in the world, employing an average force of over two thousand operatives, men and young women. During the World War the Dudlo plant was largely devoted to the manufacture of special war material, regular products being sidetracked to take care of the demands of the allied governments. This output consisted largely of very fine wire and windings for use in radio apparatus, x-ray machines, telephones and signal devices, ignition for army trucks, aeroplanes, and various other purposes. More recently, Dudlo products have contributed largely to the growth of the radio in-dustry, and, as well, to the increased use of electrical apparatus in every department of the world's activity. Shipments are made to every part of the United States, and to many foreign countries. Not alone as a manufacturer, however, giving employment to many hundreds and thus adding to the general prosperity of the city, is Mr. Jacobs known and valued. As a citizen. humane and sympathetic, during both war and peace, he has borne his full share in every obligation of the day, and in all civic affairs takes an active part. He is a member of the Quest and Optimists' Clubs. of the Safety Council, and of the local Employers' Association—having held many offices in the latter. In the Chamber of Commerce he has served as chairman of the Industrial Bureau. He is one of the directors of the Old National Bank. He maintains a live interest in the American Institute of Electrical Engineers. He is a life member of the Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society, and a sustaining member of the Fort Wayne Art School, also of the Y. M. C. A., in which he is a member of the board of directors. On the recreational side of life he is a member of the Fort Wayne. the Orchard Ridge, and the Tippecanoe Country Clubs, and also a life member of the Dudley (Mass.) Golf Club. Fraternally, Mr. Jacobs is a Mason, has attained the Scottish Rite, and is a member of the Mystic Shrine. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs, with their son, Philip, reside at 2520 Fairfield avenue, corner of Beechwood Circle. They attend Plymouth Congregational Church, of which they are members. ADOLPH JAENICKE George DeWald, then member of the City Council, as through his efforts, mainly, the Council was won over to the purchasing of that tract. Fort Wayne was thus put on the aviation map of the nation through the leadership of the Park Board. Mr. Jaenicke is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and serves on the Civic and Municipal Bureau. Under this bureau he was able to develop the Better Yards Society ; the yearly Flower Festival: the National Peony Show, and the Children's Gardens and Flower Festival, which are maintained by the Park Board for the benefit of nine thousand school children. He is a member of the fourth degree of the Knights of Columbus, and his church affiliations are with the St. Patrick's Catholic Church. He is a director in the National Park Executives' Organization. During the war he was active in the Liberty Gardens movements. One of his sons died in the service and another was killed by an accident. The missing sons
773BUILDS S OF GREAT R FOR 'WAYNE He was former chancellor of Lodge No. 116, Knights of Pythias. and formerly belonged to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Dr. Van Sweringen married Miss Kate S. Eakin, daughter of J. S. and M. A. (Hartman) Eakin, at Fort Wayne, September 26, 1888. Their one son, Budd Eakin Van Sweringen, died in 1916, leaving one daughter, Nancy. Dr. Van Sweringen resides at 2301 Forest Park boulevard. JOHN L. VERWEIRE Verweire gained a national reputation among the leaders in this type of entertainment. "I recall very distinctly," observed Frank E. Stouder, Fort Wayne's veteran theatrical manager, "that whenever a musical production came to the theatre, the first inquiry was, 'Is John Verweire in the orchestra?' If the answer were in the affirmative, it usually meant that the leader could have a holiday as as it wasn't necessary to hold a rehearsal. John always knew just how to 'play their stuff' just as they wanted it played." When Mizpah Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, secured Mr. Verweire as the director of the Shrine Band, he turned his attention largely to the directing of bands and orchestras, although he still finds the time to devote to much individual instruction. At the present time he not only has the leadership of the Mizpah Shrine Band, which has attained to a national reputation, but also the Concordia College Band. the General Electric Band and the News-Sentinel Newsboys Band. In recent years he has revealed his talent as a creator of band music, and a number of his compositions have met with wide popular favor. During the World War period he donated the services of a band for each contingent of young men who departed for service. Mr. Verweire is active in York Rite and Scottish Rite Masonry, and performs an invaluable service in connection with the Mystic Shrine and its elaborate ceremonials. He is also a member of the Fort Wayne Lodge of Elks. On the 29th of December, 1887, Mr. Verweire was united in marriage with Miss Minnie Wade, daughter of Eli and Rebecca Wade, of LaPorte, Indiana. To Mr. and Mrs. Verweire have been born a son and daughter—Wade John Verweire, 'cellist and bassoon player of note, and Mrs. Emel Rebecca Verweire-Jenkins, a pianist of recognized ability as a soloist and accompanist. Mrs. Jenkins has played accompaniments to some of the finest artists in the musical profession and has won their praise as a rare accompanist. She is a pupil of Madam Bloomfield Zeisler. DAVID STUDABAKER VESEY hues are now preferred by the buyers. It takes from six to eight years to grow orchids from the seed, but less time from the cuttings. They are treated to give their strength to one or a few blooms and, hence, are sold to dealers to retail at from $1.30 each to higher prices. The grower must know his soils to be successful—he must know the neutrality point between the acids and the alkalis. It is that balance in flower culture that determines the success of the grower. Another bloom that is having a great demand is the gardenia, a very beautiful and colorful bloom also hard to raise in number and, therefore, expensive." Mr. Vesey was born January 31, 1891, in Fort Wayne, his parents being William J. and Maggie (Studabaker) Vesey. His education began in the graded schools of the city and continued through the high school, from which he was graduated in 1908. One of his teachers who had most influence in his life was the late Chester T. Lane, of whom Mr. Vesey said: "Mr. Lane was exceedingly kind to me and I recall his name with gratitude. He gave me many hours of patient teaching outside of school hours when I had been home sick and unable for several weeks to attend classes. It is a pleasure to pay tribute to his great ability as a teacher and his high character as a man." After finishing high school, David entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor with the intent to complete the four-year course in letters, and then to remain for the study of law. He was graduated in the literary course in 1912 and then applied himself diligently to the study of law for one year. During his five years at the university, he was engaged in many student and campus activities, being president of the Michigan University Oratorical Association and also president of the Alpha Nu Debating Society, which numbered among its antagonists the similar debating clubs of the University of Chicago. the Northwestern University debaters, and groups of contentious college men from other universities. He gave time also to the publication of the local theatre program, which gave him "some extra money to spend"—he said; also gave him entre to choice theatrical productions, a temptation for diversion of time which few college men can resist. He was prepared for that, he remarked, by experience in his high school days, when he and Eben Lane put enough energy and business ability behind the class publication called the Caldron to end the year with a treasury fund of $350 and all bills paid. "We certainly gave the class the best graduation dance event in the school's history with all that money to spend," he said. With school days ended. David settled down to the practice of the law in the office of Vesey Vesey. He applied himself to corporation

Number of items that your search found: 7