The Evangelical Association was founded in 1800 by Jacob Albright (1759-1808). There was a split in this denomination from 1891-1922, when the dissenting group formed The United Evangelical Church. Its periodical was titled The Evangelical. When the two bodies reunited, the name became The Evangelical Church. Those not wishing to reunite formed the Evangelical Congregational Church.
The Evangelical Church merged with the Church of the United Brethren in Christ in 1946 and became the Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) denomination. In 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren denomination merged with the Methodist Church and became the United Methodist Church.
Der Christliche Botschafter was the German-language denominational periodical of the Evangelical Association, and was published from 1836-1947. In 1967 Evelyn Zehnder Seder had translated to English, then published, abstracts of Der Christliche Botschafter obituaries, 1836-1866.
The English-language, weekly denominational publication was The Evangelical Messenger, which was published from 1848-1946. Both periodicals had separate editors and different content; both published obituaries, but not necessarily the same ones.
David H. Koss, Ph.D., published abstracts of The Evangelical Messenger obituaries in his quarterly, The Bush-Meeting Dutch, from April 1984-October 1997. These obituaries covered the 1848-1866 years; however, they are incomplete, going alphabetically only through Schnerr.
It is The Evangelical Messenger obituaries, 1848-1940, which are indexed here.
[NOTE: All titles, except for the last two, can be found at the Allen County Public Library.]
Behney, J. Bruce, and Eller, Paul H. The History of the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Nashville, Tenn.: Abingdon Press, 1979. Kenneth W. Krueger, editor.
Koss, David H., Ph.D. "Evangelical Messenger Obituaries, 1848-1866." The Bush-Meeting Dutch: A Quarterly Newsletter of the Former Evangelical United Brethren Church (April 1984-October 1997). Abrams-Schnerr (incomplete).
Leedy, Roy B. The Evangelical Church in Ohio: Being a History of the Ohio Conference and Merged Conferences of the Evangelical Church in Ohio, now the Evangelical United Brethren Church 1816-1951. Cleveland?: The Ohio Conference of The Evangelical United Brethren Church, 1959. (The Leedy archival material is housed at Seybert United Methodist Church, 442 West Main Street, Bellevue, OH 44811. The curator is William Drown, email@example.com.)
Luebking, Sandra H. "The Religious Press." FGS FORUM 21, no. 1 (Spring 2009): 9-11.
Orwig, W. W. (Rev.). History of the Evangelical Association. Volume I. Cleveland: Charles Hammer, for the Evangelical Association, 1858. [Translated from the German. Volume II was never published.]
Stapleton, A. (Rev.). Annals of the Evangelical Association of North America and History of the United Evangelical Church. Harrisburg, Penna.: Publishing House for the United Evangelical Church, 1896. [Title page is dated 1900.]
Yeakel, R. History of the Evangelical Association. Volume I: 1750 — 1850. Cleveland: Mattell & Lamb, 1902. [copyright Thomas & Mattell, 1894.] Volume II: 1850 — 1875. Cleveland: J. H. Lamb, Agent, 1909.
We are indebted to the following staff at the Ashland Public Library, 224 Claremont Avenue, Ashland, Ohio 44805: Pamela Jordan, Director; William S. Snyder, Adult Services Associate; and Susan K. Brown, Circulation Services Supervisor.
We appreciate the cooperation of Brillie Scott, ILL and Periodicals Librarian, The Center for Evangelical United Brethren Heritage, The United Theological Seminary, 4501 Denlinger Road, Dayton, Ohio 45426.
Deepest gratitude for his enthusiasm and encouragement is extended to project advisor, Curt B. Witcher, Manager, The Genealogy Center, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802.
Sally Zody Spreng, of Perrysville, Ohio, was the individual who willingly gave professional technical support and made herself available whenever needed—and it was frequently. This project could not have been done without her help and friendship.
Sandra Hargreaves Luebking, of Western Springs, Illinois, assisted in determining the index format. Her expertise will always be appreciated.
The above libraries at Dayton, Ohio, and Fort Wayne, Indiana, have The Evangelical Messenger on microfilm.
This work is dedicated to honor the memory of two Evangelical ministers: the Rev. James Raphael Dallas (1881-1955), grandfather of Anne Dallas Budd; and the Rev. Francis Bone (1841-1911), great-grandfather of Rita Bone Kopp.
|Standard postal codes are used for state names.
Foreign countries: first several letters of name
When place of death is not stated, an effort was made to locate the residence of the minister who officiated for the funeral and submitted the obituary, giving some indication where the deceased might have resided at time of death or where funeral occurred.
Photocopies of obituaries may be ordered via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should include the patron's name and mailing address, decedent's name and the date the obituary appears. Patrons will be billed $2.50 for each obituary and should allow up to six weeks for processing.
It is imperative that the entire obituary be viewed to learn the personal characteristics of the decedent, number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and other information that is not included in the index. The entire run of the Evangelical Messenger is on microfilm in cabinet 100-B-7 at The Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library.